2019 MSCA mtg minutes September 14, 2019
1. President Kasey Wacker calls the meeting to around.
Announcement is made that sheets are circulating around the room for members that are interested in running for one of the elected positions.
2. Office Reports
1. Secretary--Ceil McDonald said minutes are posted on the MSCA website.
2. Treasurer--Zach, we have money, about $7,300. We have big expenses coming in from CTAM, but membership dues also coming in. Looking for grant applications.
3. President-elect--Ross Eichele. No report.
4. Past President--Mike Worcester. Talked about the selection of judges for sections and state. Know that state and section judges are through the MSHSL, not MSCA. Only 30& of schools voted this past year. We need to do better. Mike has data for us to see which parts of the state tend not to vote.
5. Information Coordinator--Scott Sieling--send session info to him to get on website
3. Committee Reports
1. Advisory Committee
a. Advisory review session was on Friday. Advisory next meets on October
7. We have elections today for two new positions.Current advisory
members also express desire for longer terms to be able to see things
b. Linda Neugebauer (AA) and Stewart Wilson (A) go off Advisory now. We
will have elections today for their positions. Meg Krekeler (AA) and Karen
Lee (A) are the members that continue.
c. Persons wishing to submit proposals must use the submission form, linked on the MSCA website after state speech and until May 1, 2020.
2. MSHSL- Bonnie Spohn Schmaltz
a. The Board is looking at a framework for submitting proposals. Our proposals went to the board before going to the membership and that was not well-received. We should look to change. Presenting proposals to MSHSL will appear more cohesive and we will be more accessible to all members (not just those in attendance at CTAM)
b. Schools will now all have Activities Directors, not just Athletic Directors.
Fine Arts panels will be invited to present at their yearly conference. We have an opportunity to educate the ADs in all MN districts.
c. MSHSL has budget problems, partly due to sponsorship issues.
d. New section assignments will occur in 2021-2022.
e. Bonnie’s terms ends August 2019. This is NOT an MSCA position as the position also represents META and the MDTA. Members of all three activities may run for the position and the vote will include all three organizations.
f. Jill Lofald asks about how the MSHSL markets itself; in the past it has done so primarily as athletics...should be more inclusive of the fine arts.
As Bonnie is the president, speech and fine arts has a bit more visibility on the board of directors.
g. Region speech reps should check membership lists and encourage coaches who are not members of the MSCA to join, by pointing out the benefits such as eligibility for all-state recognition for students, etc
3. State Tournament Jury--
a. Cliff Janke reported on the 2019 jury deliberations. He said the jury was very kid-centered in their approach.
b. Approximately 70% of the protests dealt with timing issues. He is concerned that our lack of a standard procedure of signalling the end of the time period may do a disservice to our students. Is time up when they stand…? With card? We need to have a standardized process for Room Managers.
c. Question...will there be more transparency about issues brought up, how they were resolved, so that the broader membership understands better…Rachel says that the jury has a document with reasoning that is communicated to the coach. If no action is taken, no notification. She expressed concern about identifying info if this document were shared with all the membership. Cliff makes a report to the Advisory about protests at state, cleaned of identifying info. Could be shared with all.
d. Kasey says a protest was made and dismissed at sections that then showed up at state. Should that be included in what goes to state? Cliff reminds us that section decisions are not binding at state.
4. MSHSL Hall of Fame Committee - Jennifer Parker, Eric Meyer
a. An Invitation to the HOF celebration was sent via the listserv
b. Cliff Janke is the speech inductee. The announcement was greeted with an ovation from our organization for his long service and achievements.
5. New Coach Mentorship Update - Jody Saxton West
a. If you know of a new coach in your area, please let Jody know.
( firstname.lastname@example.org )
b. Discussion task bank deadline is Dec 13.
c. Know that MSCA and CTAM listservs are different. Be sure you are on both so as not to miss information.
6. State tournament
a. Thank you to Jerod Nelson and Wayzata HS for a successful first year. We look forward to a 2nd year. Jerod says to check information that Wayzata sends out as to where to park.
b. Online voting for judges. Harkening back to Mike W’s concerns mentioned in the Past President’s report, Roxy talks about all the calls Cliff gets each year from complaining about not being on the list of judges, and Cliff responds if people voted in your section maybe I wouldn’t be getting this call.
4. New Business
1. Membership voting
a. On-line voting for MSCA. We will use electronic voting today but it will only be open to the membership in attendance today. The Executive Board is looking seriously at how we can use on-line voting in the future within our Constitution or submitting proposals to the membership for amendments to the Constitution to make on-line voting possible. There was much discussion on whether the proposals will be available this year online for people who are not here at our meeting. Some had left yesterday’s sessions believing an on-line vote WOULD certainly happen this year. We did not reach consensus, but in the end we decided that the Constitutional issues and the concern about making a change at the last minute in order to extend voting to those not in attendance was not advisable..
b. We must vote on proposals passed by the advisory. As per the changes
instituted in 2016, *All proposals passed by advisory in May will go to
MSHSL for approval in October UNLESS the MSCA membership votes
AGAINST the proposal TODAY
c. 60% or more of membership in attendance at CTAM in favor of the
proposal advances the proposal to MSHSL
i. We need to be a cohesive membership and present proposals
representative of our body
d. Items up for voting were discussed in an advisory board session and
specific sessions on the proposals on Friday afternoon at CTAM. The
meeting agenda stated that little discussion would be provided during the
i. Proposal 1: Make POI a 14th category. Amy French (Cotter), the coach that put together the original proposal, spoke briefly about
the proposal urging its adoption. The vote was 60.4%. It will move
on to the MSHSL Board for consideration.
ii. Proposal 2: Add semi-final round of 6 speakers each to the state tournament, advancing 6 speakers to the finals. Travis Rother, the coach that put together the original proposal, spoke briefly
about the proposal urging its adoption. The vote was 45.7% in favor. The proposal will be pulled from the MSHSL agenda in October.
iii. Advisory Committee Members
1. Expand terms for Advisory Committee members to three
(3) years. Rachel Schott amended the proposal to four (4)
years. Seconded by Rhys. The proposal passed on a
voice vote. Cliff expressed concern that we were moving
2. Elections were held for the new AA and A reps.
A Advisory election
Jacob Burkman-Pine River Baccus
Mikaela Kritz-Melrose elected
AA Advisory election
Cort Sylvester-Rosemount elected
3. Can we make the MSHSL rep a member of the board?
Moved by Scott Kallestad and seconded by Meg Krekeler
and PASSED unanimously
4. Linda N wants to discuss changes to advisory. Kasey wants to discuss at Oct mtg and discuss further next year, voting at that time. Group concurs
5. Linda wants to collect data.
iv. State Tournament Jury Member
1. New A Representative
By acclamation, Kathleen Walker-Fairmont is our new
4. We are soliciting members interested in serving on a committee for streamlining proposal, procedural changes, and voting processes for MSCA membership. The following signed up for said committee:
Heather Finholm--Red Wing email@example.com
Claire Sagstuen--John Marshall firstname.lastname@example.org
Jen Dunn-Foster--JM email@example.com
Angie Klein--Pequot Lakes firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Miller--Melrose email@example.com
Travis Rother-Chan firstname.lastname@example.org
Zach Prax-Eastview email@example.com
Jack Ellis-Lakeville North firstname.lastname@example.org
Roxy Janke-retired email@example.com
Ross Eichele-Eagan firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Neugebauer-Worthington email@example.com
Ceil McDonald-SSP firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Concerns about Discussion and Extemp Speaking procedural changes should have been communicated to our membership more appropriately
6. A question was raised about how COY is determined at the various subsection, section, and state level. Should there be the same standard for all? This is an MSCA award so recipients should be MSCA members.
7. Establish a committee to gather, formalize, and curate the history of the organization. Ross Eichele will chair this committee.
Volunteers for the Committee to curate history
Carol Sylvester Rosemount email@example.com
Rachel Schott (CA-CGB) firstname.lastname@example.org
Adam Wiebe (CA-CGB) email@example.com
Tim Newcomb (Forest Lake) firstname.lastname@example.org
1. President Mike Worcester calls the meeting to order.
MSHSL Board of Directors: Bonnie...thanks to Chris Franson for his work these past several years, and best wishes on his new endeavors. We will miss him! As our representative to the League, she reminds us that the League must balance time demands on kids, on budgets, etc. when making decisions.
Secretary: Ceil, nothing to report.
Treasurer: Zach...normally membership has run about 170-180. Last year we were over 200. The new all-state program and the organization awards have helped boost membership. Kudos to Jason, Scott, and Tim Coleman for their leadership of these awards programs. It not only recognizes excellence, but has provided financial stability to the MSCA.
Past President: Jason--nothing to report
President-elect: Kasey--has enjoyed being president-elect...as of June 1 will have much more
President: Mike--membership good but we can do even better. Zach will send out an updated membership list in a couple of weeks.
Also regarding balloting for state judges, we can also do better...only one vote for school. Remember to vote.
Also, remember that this is a renewal year...to be eligible for judging at sections and state, you must take the online test and pay fee. There is a second piece, an application for state judging. Registration due by Nov 1.
3. Committee Reports
Speech Advisory: Oct 2, Tuesday, speech advisory...another meeting in May...Mikayla, Linda, Joni, Stewart...now a link to submit proposals
Advisory Committee Elections: Candidates elected are listed in bold.
Deb Fenlayson (Wrenshall) and Karen Lee (Parkers Prairie) for Class A.
AA candidates are Mark Thul (St Francis) and Meg Krekeler (Lakeville North).
State Tournament Jury:
The current “A” rep is Rachel Schott through 2019
The current “AA” rep is Dillon White, through 2020
We must now select a new “At-large” rep. Candidates are: Thor Mattick (Princeton), Mark Thul (St Francis), and Daniel Hodges (AV)
2019 STATE TOURNAMENT: State Tournament is at WAYZATA HIGH SCHOOL April 12 (Class A) and April 13 (Class AA). The early date (due to Easter) means that our 2019 section tournament calendar is compressed.
Also the League is calling for future tournament sites. Anyone wishing to be considered for hosting for 2021-2022 should make your interest known sooner rather than later! Check with the MSHSL for further information.
Join and contribute to the site. Find it at http://mscaspeech.weebly.com/
Scott Sieling will post any materials from sessions if you send it to him. email@example.com FB page is also a place to post things...See Scott
Listserv---if you don’t get the emails, check with your school tech...may be going to Spam. Tournament calendar is still available through the CTAM website.
DISCUSSION (Rachel Schott) All articles hyperlinked. Contact Rachel or Mike with questions you might have. Jodi Saxton West will once again coordinate a task bank. Info will come out in November asking for people to offer. Deadline is Dec 14.
STORYTELLING --PDF packet available on the web site. If you click on the link to the Gutenberg Project, go to it for more information about the story. It also includes a word list with pronunciation of foreign words.
EX RDG--Bradbury again...on the hunt for another collection for next year. Poetry book is new. Now chapter lists rather than individual poems. THE SEASHELL ANTHOLOGY of GREAT POETRY. Don’t need to worry about the super short poems.
HALL OF FAME: (Eric Meyer and Jennifer Parker...) are looking for nominations. Please submit. Form is on the website.
NEW COACH MENTORSHIP:...Jody Saxton West will again coordinate.
Also, asks that if you hold a judge training session, please post and invite others to attend...Yatesh and Liz shared a ppt last year
If you are a tournament manager, consider offering a new coach a judge waiver so that they can be in the tabroom to network and learn more about the activity.
Professional Development Opportunities
Special Visitor: Zach introduced Erik Dominguez from the NSDA. He gave a session at CTAM about motivation for students. He wants to make things easier...3 clicks and a print...to access resources from the website. He wants to hear our concerns and needs. Also reached out to non NSDA schools. Tell him why, for example.
SPEAK 2 COMPETE will have two sessions in summer 2019; a 4-and an 8-day session; one at Concordia-Moorhead (July 13-20) and St Thomas (July 22-25). Runs concurrent with the student programs. Jenn Baese says, yes, expensive, but really a very good program.
PRESIDENT-ELECT from AA. Only candidate: Ross Eichele (Eagan) Dave Pritchett nominated and Mark Thul seconded and Ross was elected by acclamation.
Ideas from CTAM Sessions: Many great sessions, some passionate opinions...explanation of process...new form on website to send a proposal to speech advisory. Technically doesn’t come from this body to the league, but generally the Advisory board wants to know what our organization thinks.
State Tournament Jury DQ decisions:
Dillon will ensure that next year any DQ decisions will be summarized and posted on the MSHSL website.
CTAM 2019: September 12-14, 2019, second year of a three-year contract here in St Cloud
CTAM BOARD POSITION: Kasey Wacker is looking for someone to take on her middle school seat on the CTAM board as she prepares for her term as MSCA President. Contact her if interested.
Agenda completed and meeting adjourned
Respectfully, Ceil McDonald Secretary
16 September 2017
MSCA Annual Meeting
1. President Worcester called the meeting to order.
Rachel Schott, “A” Rep through 2019
Need to elect new “AA” rep to replace Jody Saxton-West. An election was held with two candidates, Chris McDonald and Dillon White. Dillon White was elected.
2. The 2018 State Tournament will be hosted again at Apple Valley High School.
April 20 is AA and April 21 is A.
3. Wayzata HS will host in 2019 and 2020.
4. Any school interested in hosting in future years should contact Chris Franson
sooner rather than later. Many districts plan their calendar out 2-3 years ahead.
5. CLIFF.. We have a new process for protests at State. If you think there are rules
either unnecessary or needed, must send to speech advisory or directly to
Franson. Be sure to use his new email address.
E. Category Committees
V. NEW business:
D. MSCA email.
use school email that has spam filter.
2. Please fill our evaluation form for conference. Highest attendance this year, even beat
17 September 2016
MSCA Annual Meeting
b. The newsletter, The Real 1-100, was published for the first time to great reception
7. Jason asks, what are we doing to directly affect students? He suggests a new committee. Possibilities are:
a. Possible scholarships
b. Are we interested in developing an All-State team? Not tied to state championships…
maybe tied to team leadership and development? Criteria would be set, but the number of
awards could vary greatly…
People interested: Sandra Wieser-Matthews and others.
8. Committee Reports
A. Advisory Committee
Update from May, 2016 mtg. We changed the order of the process this year, voting as a
committee on an issue and moving it on to the MSHSL Region committees, before having the
issue discussed and voted on at MSCA mtg. When this was done, the understanding was that
if it didn’t receive support from MSCA, the policy would not be sent on the MSHSL Advisory
Board. Maybe the process is something that could/should be developed.
B. Rule Clinician, Cliff Janke
a. Email was hacked so if you haven’t heard from him, please email him again.
b. Questions or concerns, please contact him. Will direct to the right spot if necessary. Can
also send to Chris Franson
c. Rules at sections/subsections…is worried about what is happening. Rules violations even
at subsection prelims, penalty should be assessed…not just warning to fix…unfair to the
other student who is following the rules…remember all the students, not just the one with
d. Need a committee to look at publication rules…currently not much of a written policy.
Kathleen Perry (Fairmount)
Luke Ostrander (AV)
Jake Devine (Mounds View)
Deb Beckman (Cotter) firstname.lastname@example.org
a. Candidates for President Elect Class A (elected candidate in bold)
Casey Wacker (NYM) Lucy Lloyd (BBE)
b. Jury Member Class A
Rachel Schott Chokia Alberta Jennifer Parker-Blackduck
c. Advisory-class A
Mikayla Critz-Melrose Jennifer Parker-Blackduck
d. Advisory AA
Tom Lucas-Bemidji, Cort Sylvester-Rosemount
Dave Pritschet-Brainerd Joni Anker-Eagan
10. MSCA website—anyone with CTAM handouts can send to Scott Sieling and he will post them.
11. State will be at AV the next two years (2017-2018)…open to interested hosts for 2019 and 2020. Wayzata possible interested; talk to Chris Franson
12. Do we want to maintain the tournament calendar on the MSCA website? Yes, The tournament calendar is still used by many.
13. DISCUSSION--Rachel Schott Document on website, contact them with questions. Tried something new by breaking bibliography down by subtopics, let us know if helpful; soliciting ideas for next year. In future, perhaps rules can reinforce the importance of citation. Jody S-W talked about task bank. Is for practice only, not invitationals; also perhaps develop a constructive flow sheet
14. Storytelling—Max talked about idea to use Project Gutenberg. Was well-received so hope to implement for next year. If interested in helping to curate list, see Max.
We don’t have a great way to get new blood on Storytelling and Extemp Rdg committees; please talk to committee chairs to get on.
15. ER—For 2017, new poetry book; same prose book; different story arc and new characters
16. HOF—Joni Anker looking for nominations for the MSHSL HOF, nominations must come from the body…nomination form on League website; submissions by Sept 16
17. New coaches mentorship—if you know of new coach, let Jody Saxton-West know
18. Encouraging future sessions by younger people at CTAM; Jody will help you through the process.
19. PD opportunities
a. 1st year of judging cycle, so need to register. $15/2 years. Must go to coach clipboard. If you need password, call Melody at office
b. State ballot is opt-in, need to complete application by Nov 1.
Remember to vote. Last year about 100 people voted.
1. Voted last year on revisions
Unanimous support for tiebreakers in finals—use JP in 3-way time when possible
2, Zach spoke to rank adjustment in finals. Franson found it would have changed one champion last year, but it does affect more who is 3rd, 4th, 5th
3. Section Autonomy
Develop committee for next year to look at section autonomy as to # of entries total and per category. See next page for volunteers...
MSCA Committee volunteers for Section Autonomy Committee
Name school email
Extemp Reading committee suggestions
SHOULD BE MEMBER OF MSCA?
Tzitel Voss—Apple Valley
MSCA Executive Board Meeting
June 30, 2016
Lakeshore Grill-Ridgedale Macy’s
In attendance: Jason Olson, Ceil McDonald, Mike Worcester, Zach Prax, Scott Sieling
Minutes of the MSCA Advisory Committee
May 4, 2016
Meeting called to order by MSCA President Jason Olson at 10:00.
Members Present: Jason Olson, Travis Rother, Kasey Wacker, Cal Vandehoef, and Zach Prax. Also Present were Chris Franson and Cliff Janke.
Meeting Adjourned at 1:45.
2015 MSCA Business Meeting Minutes – St. Cloud Holiday Inn – CTAM Annual Conference
September 19, 2015
I .Call to order-Jason Olson, MSCA President
II. Officer Reports
A. Secretary-Ceil McDonald—minutes from Sept 2014 available on-line
B. Treasurer- Zach Prax –approx $3400 in account
C. President Elect-Mike Worcester—no report
D. Past President- Scott Sieling—no report
E. MSHSL Board of Directors- Chris McDonald
1. Chris’ last year on board of directors. Soliciting nominees for term 2016-2020. See him
2. We now have team trophies at state. We were the only activity w/o them.
3. Time limit change at regions. Board decision Oct 1. If approved, would go into effect for
the 2016 tournaments
4. Poetry language clean-up proposal is also at regions, and would also go into effect for
5. Pam Wycoff and Chris talked about the possibility of Minnesota hosting the NSDA
tournament in 2020. We hosted successfully in 1997 and many have asked us to do it
again. Prebid approval process status: Good airport, 500 classrooms, entertainment for
students, final round venue for 3500. School system willing to support and rearrange
schedule, like summer school, more custodial time, etc. update on process. District 196
is willing and has the classroom space needed. The convention center also has an
auditorium that meets our needs. Enthusiastic reception by those in attendance.
F. President Jason Olson
1. Call for Committee. Goal for next two years to get greater participation. Committee to
work on outreach. Jason asked for volunteers for such a committee. The following
volunteered: Rachel Schott (Chokia-Alberta) Roxy Janke (retired), Sandy Nieland
(Rochester JM) , Ceil McDonald (SSP), Mike Worcester (Hutchinson), Tom Lucas (Bemidji),
Jody Markgraf (Kimball), Bonnie Spohn (EV-W), Lisa Lechter (Windom)
2. Newsletter -maybe an electronic one and include tips, handouts, etc
III. Committee Reports
A. Advisory Committee –minutes on website. State tournament jury rotation system, poetry rule
revision, time-limit change; also session on Friday with future proposals will be discussed
under new business.
B. Advisory Committee elections
Class A candidates to replace Kathy Martin: Doug Smith-Mankato Loyola, Audree Hoovey--
NYMills, Lisa Lechter-Windom, Casey Wacker- NYMills. Casey Wacker was elected.
Class AA candidates to replace Jill Lofald: Zach Prax (Eastview), Sandy Nieland (Rochester JM). Zach Prax was elected.
The two continuing members are: Travis Rother - 2017 (AA) Cal Vandehoef - 2017 (A)
State Tournament Jury: at-large spot, so open to both classes to replace Ceil McDonald
Kathy Martin-DGF-, Suzanne White-Woodbury; Tim Coleman-Harding; Jodene Wartman-Eagan
Kathy Martin was elected.
The two continuing members are Margaret Kitterman (A) 2017 and Jody Saxton-West (AA)
1. Cliff Janke--MSHSL Rules Clinician
Is revising the FAQs. Rewrite with a small committee AA rep Joni Anker. Cheryl Neidt
volunteered for Class A. Jenn Baese asks if this is a job for advisory. Cliff thinks that the
advisory has plenty to do, and also it would make the position of speech clinician moot.
Some discussion about whether or not the FAQs are rules.
2. MSCA Appointed Jury was well-received last year
3. The state tournament will be April 15(A)-16(AA) at Lakeville North H.S.
D. MSCA Website MAY SEND THINGS TO ADD TO THE WEBSITE
1. Join and contribute to the site.
2. Send CTAM materials to email@example.com to have them posted.
3. Tournament Calendar-put your date on the website; do we want to use a state-wide
calendar, or do we just use the online registration sites. YES, CONTINUE!
E. Category Committees
1. Discussion – Mike Worcester, Rachel Schott –
Is this still considered a valuable resource? Yes, we will try to add another document with
suggestions from yesterday’s sessions on the league website; thanks to all the input
2. Extemp Reading- Kathy Martin
Book thief. A chapter can be cut 2-3 ways. If a chapter is really short, can combine with the
beginning of the next chapter. Read the book, send questions to Kathy Martin
3. Storytelling- Marie Kreft, Kathleen Westgard—no update
F. MSHSL Hall of Fame Committee - Jodi Anker and Howard Vaillaincourt
Cort Sylvester and Mike Tillman will be inducted. Oct 25
G. New Coach Mentorship Update - Jody Saxton-West firstname.lastname@example.org
New coaches should contact Jody if they want a mentor. She will contact people to mentor, as
needed. Would like another set of eyes to look over and formalize the info she gives new
coaches.copies for people to look at and comment.
IV. Old Business
A. Professional Development Opportunities
1. NSDA Professional Development and Accreditation www.nflonline.org
2. Speak 2 Compete Institute @ St. Thomas-July
B. Second year of judging cycle so if you registered last year you should be ok, but head coaches
should still login to your Coach’s Clipboard to Vote for State Judges! Less that 80 people voted
V. New Business
A. Constitutional Revisions for MSCA.
B. Ideas from sessions.
1. 2-minute time limit. Are we creating a Boogey Man? Should we just strike the language?
2. 5 judge proposal for finals at state—different mindset when room managing vs judging. Those are logistical things that they would work through. Why wouldn’t we drop high-low
a. First, voted whether begin without going to advisory, first. 51-45 vote to go forward
now without referring to advisory.
b. Secondly, voted 63-36 to accept the proposal to go to 5-judge panels at State,
counting all five ballots (not dropping the high/low ballots)
3. JOHN FOGARTY about judge voting. We don’t have changes now. Franson will change the
current ballot a bit with photos and bios. There are 413 names. We have a tiny fraction of
people voting. Need more people to vote. Contact people in your section to get the vote
out. Some sections have 2 or fewer votes. Only 80 votes last
4. DONATION towards Friday snacks? Moved and seconded by Mark Thul and Linda
Negebauer. Unanimous acclamation.
5. DONATION to CTAM Foundation? Matthew Kolstad moved $250 donation? Carol
Purrington seconded. Unanimous cclamation.
FINAL REMINDER by Pam Wycoff. Any questions about NSDA? See her!
MSCA Advisory Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 27, 2015
1:00 to 3:00 PM
MSHSL Office, 2100 Freeway Blvd, Brooklyn Center
Speech Advisory: Jill Lofald (AA), Travis Rother (AA), Kathy Martin (A), Cal Vande Hoef (A)
MSCA President: Scott Sieling
MSHSL Rules Clinician: Cliff Janke
MSHSL Director: Chris Franson
I. MSCA appointed State Jury (Administrative: doesn’t need to be proposed.)
A. Well-received last year.
B. Tweak it so there is a rotation like Discussion so not all 3 leave at the same time.
C. Proposal: A rotation will start with the 2015-2016 school year. At the 2015 Fall MSCA
meeting, a new Jury member will be elected to replace the at-large member, followed by
replacement of the Class A member in the Fall of 2016, followed by replacement of the Class
AA member in 2017. This cycle will continue to repeat into the future. (Unanimously
approved at the Fall 2014 MSCA Meeting)
II. Poetry Rule Revision: (Proposals due by May 15) Reviewed by September 30. Voted on in
October Board meeting. Send out to Administrative Regions.
A. Current rule: Selections for poetry may include one poem or several clearly-identified poems
B. Proposal to add this language: The titles and authors of each poem must be stated either in
the introduction of throughout the performance. (Passed at the Fall 2014 MSCA Meeting:
109 for, 3 against
C. Look at a session at CTAM on cutting for interpretation events
III. Time Limit Proposal:
A. Revise time limits for MSHSL Categories so that all non-draw events are 10 minutes and all
draw events at 7 minutes. The grace period would be eliminated.
B. This proposal was approved by a vote at the Fall 2014 MSCA Meeting:
75 for (48 “AA” and 27 “A”) and 37 against (10 “A” and 27 “A”)
C. Rationale: Having only two time limits would provide simplicity and consistency to
tournaments. The 10 minute time limit in non-draw categories would put Minnesota in line
with the national standard of 10 minutes.
D. Send the time limit information to Chris electronically.
IV. Other items raised
A. Check published rules on the MSHSL website to make sure they are up-to-date
1. Music rule? This is up-to-date online
2. Duo rule of allowing students to look at each other during intro? Clean up duo language
to show that they can only look at each other during intro (not transitions)
3. Coaches need to make sure they are accessing rules from the MSHSL website for the most
recent set of rules.
B. Check wording of set-up and timing for Informative.
1. How does current wording affect enforcement
2. Is clarification/rewording needed? Travis is doing a session at CTAM. Cliff will update the
FAQs before that. Section managers need to be informed that set-up of informative needs
to be timed with signals.
C. Tiebreaker idea for State Finals
1. “Preponderance of 1’s” rule: A student who earns two 1’s in finals cannot be beaten
unless a student who places higher than him/her has the other 1.
2. This would prevent students who get a 1, 1, 7 or 1, 1, 8 a better chance for the
3. What about only ranking to 5 and using actual ranks for the tie-breaker?
4. Bring this up at CTAM.
D. Judges at State.
1. Hiring and placement ideas: Have a hiring committee for this? No voting process? Rep.
from each section? Not many are voting. Can we get more people to vote? We need more
to register to judge. Add something on the registration if coach is actively
2. Numbers in finals? Leave a slot open in finals? Chris could put five in finals with the
number that we have now. Let’s discuss at CTAM.
E. Team Trophies at State (top 3 teams)
1. Do we count all finalists? Yes. 8th=1 pt, 7th=2 pts., 6th=3pts., etc. Keep it as is.
2. Suggestion to only count the top 10. (Try it as it is and then tweak in the future if
F. Section Tournaments
1. DQ offenses not enforced. Chris suggested having section manager meetings online
before section tournaments to review rules, etc.
2. Discussions tasks and Ex. Speaking questions. Mike Worcester said he and Rachel will
divide up tasks in the future to make sure others don’t see tasks ahead of time. Ex.
Speaking: have topics by round to prevent students from seeing ideas from other
G. Prose and Drama cuttings
1. Should we allow more than one piece?
2. Do we need a rule about this? CTAM session?
H. Plagiarism and Youtube issues
1. Slam Poetry online
2. How much is too much? Discuss at CTAM.
V. Discussion of future consideration items: (These items might be good for CTAM sessions. We are looking for individuals to host sessions on these topics.)
A. Can a student write their own piece, publish it online under a pseudonym, then
perform it in a category other than creative expression?
B. For state finals tie-breaking, in the case of a 3-way tie, does finals recips have to be the
first tie-breaker used?
C. Should Rules and Criteria for judging Discussion be revised to make the event
more consistent with “real world” group problem-solving activities?
D. Should the name of (and perhaps also the Rules for) Great Speeches be
E. Should the "quoted word" limits for Original Oratory and Informative Speaking
be increased? Should submitting a Works Cited be required for these
F. Should the requirements regarding writing critiques at the State Contest be
changed? Should critiques be written for Final Rounds? Should critiques be
eliminated entirely or revised for all rounds? Maybe just a half sheet with a reason
for decision listed.
G. Should MSCA consider naming Academic Champions in speech, much as is
done by athletic coaches’ organizations? We are already an academic activity
and Jill added that any speech team students who have a 3.0 or higher get a
certificate from the MSHSL. Give a list to your A.D. of your students who can
get these from the league.