MSCA Annual Meeting
- The secretary and treasurer reports were approved and seconded.
- An update was given on the MSCA Memorial policy..recent memorials were sent in memory of Dennis Swanson, Sandra Wieser-Matthews’ spouse, and Keith Roberts.
- We had in the past an MSCA Distinguished Service Award that has not been awarded since 2011. Consensus is that we would like to restart this award.
- Mike Worcester becomes our new president on June 1. The president-elect will now become a part of the Speech Advisory Council as a non-voting member so as to be up-to-date on the issues.
- Bonnie Spohn is our new Speech-Debate-One Act rep to the MSHSL Board. She is just beginning her 4-year term, but reported that she is finding that there are “good people to work with”.
- President Jason Olson spoke about the successes of the Outreach Committee.
b. The newsletter, The Real 1-100, was published for the first time to great reception
7. Jason asks, what are we doing to directly affect students? He suggests a new committee. Possibilities are:
a. Possible scholarships
b. Are we interested in developing an All-State team? Not tied to state championships…
maybe tied to team leadership and development? Criteria would be set, but the number of
awards could vary greatly…
People interested: Sandra Wieser-Matthews and others.
8. Committee Reports
A. Advisory Committee
Update from May, 2016 mtg. We changed the order of the process this year, voting as a
committee on an issue and moving it on to the MSHSL Region committees, before having the
issue discussed and voted on at MSCA mtg. When this was done, the understanding was that
if it didn’t receive support from MSCA, the policy would not be sent on the MSHSL Advisory
Board. Maybe the process is something that could/should be developed.
B. Rule Clinician, Cliff Janke
a. Email was hacked so if you haven’t heard from him, please email him again.
b. Questions or concerns, please contact him. Will direct to the right spot if necessary. Can
also send to Chris Franson
c. Rules at sections/subsections…is worried about what is happening. Rules violations even
at subsection prelims, penalty should be assessed…not just warning to fix…unfair to the
other student who is following the rules…remember all the students, not just the one with
d. Need a committee to look at publication rules…currently not much of a written policy.
Kathleen Perry (Fairmount)
Luke Ostrander (AV)
Jake Devine (Mounds View)
Deb Beckman (Cotter) firstname.lastname@example.org
a. Candidates for President Elect Class A (elected candidate in bold)
Casey Wacker (NYM) Lucy Lloyd (BBE)
b. Jury Member Class A
Rachel Schott Chokia Alberta Jennifer Parker-Blackduck
c. Advisory-class A
Mikayla Critz-Melrose Jennifer Parker-Blackduck
d. Advisory AA
Tom Lucas-Bemidji, Cort Sylvester-Rosemount
Dave Pritschet-Brainerd Joni Anker-Eagan
10. MSCA website—anyone with CTAM handouts can send to Scott Sieling and he will post them.
11. State will be at AV the next two years (2017-2018)…open to interested hosts for 2019 and 2020. Wayzata possible interested; talk to Chris Franson
12. Do we want to maintain the tournament calendar on the MSCA website? Yes, The tournament calendar is still used by many.
13. DISCUSSION--Rachel Schott Document on website, contact them with questions. Tried something new by breaking bibliography down by subtopics, let us know if helpful; soliciting ideas for next year. In future, perhaps rules can reinforce the importance of citation. Jody S-W talked about task bank. Is for practice only, not invitationals; also perhaps develop a constructive flow sheet
14. Storytelling—Max talked about idea to use Project Gutenberg. Was well-received so hope to implement for next year. If interested in helping to curate list, see Max.
We don’t have a great way to get new blood on Storytelling and Extemp Rdg committees; please talk to committee chairs to get on.
15. ER—For 2017, new poetry book; same prose book; different story arc and new characters
16. HOF—Joni Anker looking for nominations for the MSHSL HOF, nominations must come from the body…nomination form on League website; submissions by Sept 16
17. New coaches mentorship—if you know of new coach, let Jody Saxton-West know
18. Encouraging future sessions by younger people at CTAM; Jody will help you through the process.
19. PD opportunities
a. 1st year of judging cycle, so need to register. $15/2 years. Must go to coach clipboard. If you need password, call Melody at office
b. State ballot is opt-in, need to complete application by Nov 1.
Remember to vote. Last year about 100 people voted.
1. Voted last year on revisions
Unanimous support for tiebreakers in finals—use JP in 3-way time when possible
2, Zach spoke to rank adjustment in finals. Franson found it would have changed one champion last year, but it does affect more who is 3rd, 4th, 5th
3. Section Autonomy
Develop committee for next year to look at section autonomy as to # of entries total and per category. See next page for volunteers...
MSCA Committee volunteers for Section Autonomy Committee
Name school email
- Deb Beckman Winona Cotter email@example.com
- Chris Barker Rocori firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Lence Minnewaska email@example.com
- Jenn Baese Lakeville North firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mikayla Critz Melrose email@example.com
- Karen Lee Parkers Prairie firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adam Wiebe Chokio-Alberta email@example.com
- Jennifer Parker Blackduck firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Kleinwolterink Morris email@example.com
- Bonnie Spohn Schmaltz Eden Valley-Watkins firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel Hodges Apple Valley email@example.com
- Kasey Wacker New York Mills firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bev Diles Chaska email@example.com
- Amy Alberg Chaska? aalberg@TCU2905.us
- Mark Quinlan Centennial (retired) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrew Tichy Moorhead email@example.com
- Ceil McDonald South St Paul firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barbara Shofner Orono email@example.com
- Jerrod Nelson Wayzata Jerrod.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lisa Letcher Windom email@example.com
- David Pritschet Brainerd firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stewart Wilson Walker-Hackensack email@example.com
- Zach Prax Eastview Zackary.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Donoho Fergus Falls email@example.com
Extemp Reading committee suggestions
SHOULD BE MEMBER OF MSCA?
Tzitel Voss—Apple Valley