I .Call to order-Scott Sieling, MSCA President
II. Officer Reports
A. Secretary-Ceil McDonald
B. Treasurer- Ross Eichele
C. President Elect-Jason Olson
1. Election for a President-Elect for 2015-2016
D. Past President- Kathy Martin
E. MSHSL Board of Directors- Chris McDonald
F. President Scott Sieling
1. Treasurer position
2. MSCA on social media
3. MSCA Constitution/By-Laws
III. Committee Reports
A. Advisory Committee –
1. Update from May, 2014 meeting
B. Advisory Committee elections
1. Jill Lofald - term expires in 2015 (AA)
2. Kathy Martin - term expires in 2015 (AA)
3. Mike Worcester - term expires in 2014 (AA)
4. Rachel Schott - term expires in 2014 (A)
1. Cliff Janke is the MSHSL Rules Clinician
2. MSCA Appointed Jury was well-received last year.
a. Well-received last year.
b. Tweak it so there is a rotation so all 3 do not leave at the same time.
3. The state tournament will be April 17(A)-18(AA) at Lakeville North H.S.
D. MSCA Website
1. Join and contribute to the site.
2. Send CTAM materials to email@example.com to have them postedl.
3. Tournament Calendar-put your date on the website
E. Category Committees
1. Discussion – Mike Wocester, Rachel Schott
2. Extemp Reading- Kathy Martin
3. Storytelling- Marie Kreft, Kathleen Westgard
F. MSHSL Hall of Fame Committee - Jodi Anker and Howard Vaillaincourt
G. New Coach Mentorship Update - Jody Saxton-West Jody.Saxtonwest@nfld.k12.mn.us
H. State Committee-Bethany P., Jody, Annie, Jill
IV. Old Business
A. Professional Development Opportunities
1. NSDA Professional Development and Accreditation www.nflonline.org
2. Gustavus Coaching Institute-July
B. This is the new year in the two-year judging cycle. Everyone will need to register by going to
the MSHSL website and using the Coaches' Clipboard.
V. New Business
A. Ideas from sessions.
MN winners at National Speech and Debate Tournament 2014
School of Outstanding Distinction: Eagan
Speech Schools of Excellence: Apple Valley, Moorhead
Speech Schools of Honors: Chanhassen
HUMOR: Stephanie Kahle, Apple Valley, 10th
DUO: Matt Wisenden & Jordan Hartjen, Moorhead, 1st; Drew Swenson & Karina Twedt, Moorhead, 8th
OO: Laurel Scott, Eagan, 2nd; Aunika Schraw, St. Cloud Tech, 4th; Moti Begna, Apple Valley, 5th
USX: Adam Stromme, Eagan, 9th
IX: Dylan Adelman, Lakeville South, 2nd
IMPROMPTU: Haley Brahmbhatt, Chanhassen, 4th
STORYTELLING: Sam Scarlato, Chanhassen, 1st; Micah Spieldenner, Chanhassen, 3rd; Stephanie Butler, Lakeville North, 5th
MSCA "AA" Coach of the Year for 2014: to be announced
MSCA “A” Coach of the Year for 2014: to be announced
MSCA Years of Service Awards for 2014
Bethany Piety (Orono)
Peter Schreifels (Eden Prairie)
Brian Stoebner (Cass Lake-Bena)
Lisa Letcher (Windom)
Thomas Lucas (Bemidji)
Lisa Goihl (Kasson Mantorville)
Dale Neuschwander (Sauk Center)
Mark Thul (St. Francis)
Roxy Janke (Fairmont)
Sandra Wieser-Matthews (Perham)
Stewart Wilson (Walker)
Kathy Detloff (Swanville)
Cheryl Neidt (Springfield)
Carol Purrington (Marshall)
John Fogarty (Cannon Falls)
MSCA Advisory Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 5, 2014
MSHSL Office, 2100 Freeway Blvd, Brooklyn Center
I. Pay for room managers and judges
A. Increase pay for both
B. Offset cost by creating a more graduated mileage scale (like athletic officials).
C. This has yet to be decided
II. Poetry rule
A. Some sections had different interpretations of what “clearly identified” meant for the title(s) of the poem(s).
B. Define what “clearly identified” means or remove. (To be decided at CTAM).
III. MSCA appointed State Jury
A. Well-received this year.
B. Tweak it so there is a rotation like Discussion so not all 3 leave at the same time. (We can
do this at CTAM)
IV. Judge Hiring
A. Issue with gender balance with discussion and great speeches.
B. Add more judges or hire off list in special circumstances? (No.)
C. Chris F. and Cliff J. will start with "tougher" categories first to get a balance as best as
V. Proposal: Team Awards for MSHSL State Speech (on the October Board Agenda for
implementation in 2015-2016).
A. The MSCA proposes through the MSHSL Speech Advisory Committee that the
MSHSL Board of Directors approve the awarding of team trophies at the MSHSL State
1. Providing Speech Team Trophies to the top 3 schools at each of the MSHSL State
Speech Tournaments would provide schools with a tangible reward for their overall
team efforts in the form of a beautiful trophy that can be displayed prominently in
their school trophy case. This provides speech teams with higher visibility within their
schools and prominently displays the MSHSL’s support of fine arts programs.
2. Providing Speech Team Trophies to the top 3 schools at each of the MSHSL State
Speech Tournaments would provide consistency with other individual interscholastic
activities like Boys and Girls Track.
3. Providing Speech Team Trophies to the top 3 schools at each of the MSHSL State
Speech Tournaments would provide consistency with the Section Speech Tournaments,
which currently award team trophies.
VI. Discussion of future consideration items:
A. Does the 3D Visuals rule allow for students to “wear” their visuals?
B. Can a student write their own piece, publish it online under a pseudonym, then perform it
in a category other than creative expression?
C. For state finals tie-breaking, in the case of a 3-way tie, does finals recips have to be the first
D. Should Rules and Criteria for judging Discussion be revised to make the event more
consistent with “real world” group problem-solving activities?
E. Should the name of (and perhaps also the Rules for) Great Speeches be revised?
F. Should the "quoted word" limits for Original Oratory and Informative Speaking be
increased? Should submitting a Works Cited be required for these events?
G. Should the requirements regarding writing critiques at the State Contest be changed?
Should critiques be written for Final Rounds? Should critiques be eliminated entirely or
revised for all rounds?
H. Should rules for Extemporaneous Reading be revised to include drama selections (in
addition to prose and poetry)? Should all contestants in Extemporaneous Reading be
prepared to read all listed selections, regardless of genre (assuming the lists of selections
are considerably shortened)?
I. Should all time limits (and grace periods) be reconsidered and perhaps revised?
J. Should MSHSL Speech Rules be made more consistent with National Speech and Debate
K. Should MSCA consider naming Academic Champions in speech, much as is done by athletic
L. Should the number and assignment of judges at the State Contest be reconsidered?
MSCA Code of Ethics (A Proposal)
As a professional speech coach, I will:
1. Strive to develop in each student speaker the qualities of leadership, initiative and good judgment.
2. Respect the integrity and personality of each individual team member.
3. Encourage the highest standards of conduct and scholastic achievement.
4. Embrace cultural differences and tolerance.
5. Encourage a respect for all competitors and their values.
6. Promote freedom of expression that does not degrade individuals and humanity.
7. Advocate honesty, accuracy, and reason as essential to the integrity of communication.
8. Exemplify the highest moral character, behavior and leadership.
9. Provide ethical relationships among coaches.
10. Stay current on all league/activity policies.
11. Abide by the rules of the activity in letter and spirit.
12. Be responsible for bringing well-prepared, fair, and constructive judges to tournaments.
13. Respect the integrity and judgment of tournament judges and officials.
14. Display modesty in victory and graciousness in defeat.
15. Demonstrate a mastery of and continuing interest in coaching principles and techniques through professional improvement.