April 17-18, 2015
I .Call to order-Scott Sieling, MSCA President
II. Officer Reports
A. Secretary-Ceil McDonald
B. Treasurer- Ross Eichele
C. President Elect-Jason Olson
D. Past President- Kathy Martin
E. MSHSL Board of Directors- Chris McDonald
F. President Scott Sieling
1. Treasurer position
2. MSCA Constitution/By-Laws
III. Committee Reports
A. Advisory Committee –
1. Next meeting is Monday, April 27, 2015
2. Advisory Committee members
Jill Lofald - term expires in 2015 (AA)
Kathy Martin - term expires in 2015 (AA)
Travis Rother - term expires in 2016 (AA)
Cal Vande Hoef - term expires in 2016 (A)
B. MSHSL-Cliff Janke -MSHSL Rules Clinician
C. Awards Committee-Scott Sieling and Tim Coleman
1. Let Scott or Tim know Section Speech Coach Award Winners
2. See Fall Awards (attached)
D. MSCA Website
1. Join and contribute to the site.
2. Tournament Calendar-put your date on the website
E. Category Committees
1. Discussion – Mike Worcester, Rachel Schott
2. Extemp Reading- Kathy Martin
3. Storytelling- Marie Kreft, Kathleen Westgard
F. MSHSL Hall of Fame Committee -
1. Joni Anker and Howard Vaillaincourt
2. Due Date is December 11, 2015
G. New Coach Mentorship Update - Jody Saxton West (Jody.Saxtonwest@nfld.k12.mn.us)
IV. Old Business
A. Professional Development Opportunities
1. NSDA Professional Development and Accreditation www.nflonline.org
2. Gustavus Coaching Institute-July
B. This is the new year in the two-year judging cycle.
1. MSCA Code of Ethics was approved at CTAM 2014 and is now on the MSCA website.
2. A proposal to change Ex. Reading failed on a vote at CTAM 2014.
3. A proposal to change Great Speeches was tabled at CTAM 2014.
4. Other proposals will be discussed and finalized at the Advisory meeting. (see attached)
V. New Business
A. State next year at Lakeville North, April 15-16, 2016
B. Nominations for awards through CTAM
C. CTAM-Holiday Inn, St. Cloud, September 17-19, 2015
D. Submit session ideas to Suzanne Stangl-Erkens: email@example.com
(Due Monday, June 8, 2015)
MSCA YEAR’S OF SERVICE AWARDS (2013-2014)
5 years: Bethany Piety, Peter Schreifels
10 years: Brian Stoebner
15 years: Lisa Letcher, Thomas Lucas
20 years: Lisa Goihl
25 years: Dale Neuschwander, Mark Thul
30 years: Roxy Janke, Sandra Wieser-Matthews, Stewart Wilson
35 years: Kathy Detloff, Cheryl Neidt, Carol Purrington
45 years: John Fogarty
Class A Coach of the Year: Cliff Janke, Fairmont
Class AA Coach of the Year: Travis Rother, Chanhassen
STATE TOURNAMENT JURY ROTATION PROPOSAL: A rotation will start with the 2015-2016 school year for the State Tournament Jury. At the 2015 Fall CTAM meeting, a new Jury member will be elected to replace the at-large member, followed by replacement of the Class A member in the Fall of 2016, followed by replacement of the Class AA member in 2017. This cycle will continue to repeat into the future.
RATIONALE: This will allow for more consistency in the Jury so that all members will not leave at the same time.
POETRY CLARIFICATION PROPOSAL: Add clarifying language to the poetry rule. Current language: Selections for poetry may include one poem or several clearly-identified poems. ADD THIS LANGUAGE: The titles and authors of each poem must be stated either in the introduction or throughout the performance.
RATIONALE: This clarifies the meaning of “clearly-identified.”
TIME LIMITS PROPOSAL: All draw category time limits will be 7 minutes and all non-draw categories will be 10 minutes. Discussion would remain the same. The grace period would be eliminated.
RATIONALE: Having only two time limits would provide simplicity and consistency to tournaments. The 10 minute time limit in non-draw categories would put Minnesota in line with the national standard of 10 minutes.