September 19, 2015
I .Call to order-Jason Olson, MSCA President
II. Officer Reports
A. Secretary-Ceil McDonald—minutes from Sept 2014 available on-line
B. Treasurer- Zach Prax –approx $3400 in account
C. President Elect-Mike Worcester—no report
D. Past President- Scott Sieling—no report
E. MSHSL Board of Directors- Chris McDonald
1. Chris’ last year on board of directors. Soliciting nominees for term 2016-2020. See him
2. We now have team trophies at state. We were the only activity w/o them.
3. Time limit change at regions. Board decision Oct 1. If approved, would go into effect for
the 2016 tournaments
4. Poetry language clean-up proposal is also at regions, and would also go into effect for
5. Pam Wycoff and Chris talked about the possibility of Minnesota hosting the NSDA
tournament in 2020. We hosted successfully in 1997 and many have asked us to do it
again. Prebid approval process status: Good airport, 500 classrooms, entertainment for
students, final round venue for 3500. School system willing to support and rearrange
schedule, like summer school, more custodial time, etc. update on process. District 196
is willing and has the classroom space needed. The convention center also has an
auditorium that meets our needs. Enthusiastic reception by those in attendance.
F. President Jason Olson
1. Call for Committee. Goal for next two years to get greater participation. Committee to
work on outreach. Jason asked for volunteers for such a committee. The following
volunteered: Rachel Schott (Chokia-Alberta) Roxy Janke (retired), Sandy Nieland
(Rochester JM) , Ceil McDonald (SSP), Mike Worcester (Hutchinson), Tom Lucas (Bemidji),
Jody Markgraf (Kimball), Bonnie Spohn (EV-W), Lisa Lechter (Windom)
2. Newsletter -maybe an electronic one and include tips, handouts, etc
III. Committee Reports
A. Advisory Committee –minutes on website. State tournament jury rotation system, poetry rule
revision, time-limit change; also session on Friday with future proposals will be discussed
under new business.
B. Advisory Committee elections
Class A candidates to replace Kathy Martin: Doug Smith-Mankato Loyola, Audree Hoovey--
NYMills, Lisa Lechter-Windom, Casey Wacker- NYMills. Casey Wacker was elected.
Class AA candidates to replace Jill Lofald: Zach Prax (Eastview), Sandy Nieland (Rochester JM). Zach Prax was elected.
The two continuing members are: Travis Rother - 2017 (AA) Cal Vandehoef - 2017 (A)
State Tournament Jury: at-large spot, so open to both classes to replace Ceil McDonald
Kathy Martin-DGF-, Suzanne White-Woodbury; Tim Coleman-Harding; Jodene Wartman-Eagan
Kathy Martin was elected.
The two continuing members are Margaret Kitterman (A) 2017 and Jody Saxton-West (AA)
1. Cliff Janke--MSHSL Rules Clinician
Is revising the FAQs. Rewrite with a small committee AA rep Joni Anker. Cheryl Neidt
volunteered for Class A. Jenn Baese asks if this is a job for advisory. Cliff thinks that the
advisory has plenty to do, and also it would make the position of speech clinician moot.
Some discussion about whether or not the FAQs are rules.
2. MSCA Appointed Jury was well-received last year
3. The state tournament will be April 15(A)-16(AA) at Lakeville North H.S.
D. MSCA Website MAY SEND THINGS TO ADD TO THE WEBSITE
1. Join and contribute to the site.
2. Send CTAM materials to email@example.com to have them posted.
3. Tournament Calendar-put your date on the website; do we want to use a state-wide
calendar, or do we just use the online registration sites. YES, CONTINUE!
E. Category Committees
1. Discussion – Mike Worcester, Rachel Schott –
Is this still considered a valuable resource? Yes, we will try to add another document with
suggestions from yesterday’s sessions on the league website; thanks to all the input
2. Extemp Reading- Kathy Martin
Book thief. A chapter can be cut 2-3 ways. If a chapter is really short, can combine with the
beginning of the next chapter. Read the book, send questions to Kathy Martin
3. Storytelling- Marie Kreft, Kathleen Westgard—no update
F. MSHSL Hall of Fame Committee - Jodi Anker and Howard Vaillaincourt
Cort Sylvester and Mike Tillman will be inducted. Oct 25
G. New Coach Mentorship Update - Jody Saxton-West firstname.lastname@example.org
New coaches should contact Jody if they want a mentor. She will contact people to mentor, as
needed. Would like another set of eyes to look over and formalize the info she gives new
coaches.copies for people to look at and comment.
IV. Old Business
A. Professional Development Opportunities
1. NSDA Professional Development and Accreditation www.nflonline.org
2. Speak 2 Compete Institute @ St. Thomas-July
B. Second year of judging cycle so if you registered last year you should be ok, but head coaches
should still login to your Coach’s Clipboard to Vote for State Judges! Less that 80 people voted
V. New Business
A. Constitutional Revisions for MSCA.
B. Ideas from sessions.
1. 2-minute time limit. Are we creating a Boogey Man? Should we just strike the language?
2. 5 judge proposal for finals at state—different mindset when room managing vs judging. Those are logistical things that they would work through. Why wouldn’t we drop high-low
a. First, voted whether begin without going to advisory, first. 51-45 vote to go forward
now without referring to advisory.
b. Secondly, voted 63-36 to accept the proposal to go to 5-judge panels at State,
counting all five ballots (not dropping the high/low ballots)
3. JOHN FOGARTY about judge voting. We don’t have changes now. Franson will change the
current ballot a bit with photos and bios. There are 413 names. We have a tiny fraction of
people voting. Need more people to vote. Contact people in your section to get the vote
out. Some sections have 2 or fewer votes. Only 80 votes last
4. DONATION towards Friday snacks? Moved and seconded by Mark Thul and Linda
Negebauer. Unanimous acclamation.
5. DONATION to CTAM Foundation? Matthew Kolstad moved $250 donation? Carol
Purrington seconded. Unanimous cclamation.
FINAL REMINDER by Pam Wycoff. Any questions about NSDA? See her!